2010 in a nutshell
December 31, 2010 § Leave a comment
I read this really cool blog, and she does this yearly recap thing, so I’m following suit. Seems like a fun way to remember things. Maybe it will become a tradition? Here it goes.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Ran personal bests for 4, 6, and 5 miles. Got inspired to be a “runner”. Visted Scandinavia with Alex. Had a full time job!! Went to therapy: ha. Also, 2010 was the first time in my life since oh, around year 2, that I wasn’t in school. Really crazy to think about.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made new year’s resolutions last year, honestly. I’ve never been very good at them, and the end of the year is usually too stressful for me to spend any time in pleasant retrospect. Going to try to change that this year. For the first time I actually feel mildly comfortably stable in my life. Last year I was busy graduating and trying to get a job/finding a job/trying not to screw up my job, that I didn’t really make them. But this time, definitely going to make some. Here, I’ll get myself started.
1. Finish a short story.
2. Write a poem, read it at an open mic. (Aspen, you’re the one that has to stay up late with me and go to the Beyu Cafe open mic.)
3. Take Lena camping.
4. Spend more quality-not-quantity time with Alex.
5. I won’t even say something as stupid as “Work out 2-3 times a week” because that won’t get done. Okay, let’s just put it on here. Work out 2-3 times a week.
6. Should I do something like weight goals then too? Lose weight!
7. Gain Patience. Lena’s going to be 3. Lose weight and gain patience.
I’ll think of more later. That’s enough to get me started.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lots of people at daycare did. Whoa that was hard. So did Mary and Jack, and Hope and Blake. Charlie and Elaine will next year! (Congrats to all.)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Someone close to me had someone close to him die. And then there was a line in this book I read that said something like, it brought us together in the way that only other people’s tragedies can. And that was really poignant to me at that moment.
5. What countries did you visit?
Sweden, Denmark, and France. :) Lena had more, if you count my parent’s horrendous plane trip to France. They stopped in Belgium and Germany.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Emotional stability. Well on my way for that to happen. More just me and Alex time. And I don’t want to say “this will never happen” because Alex loves when I say things like that, but COME ON. Okay, not really, not honestly. Here’s one: More nights in the woods. More sleeping bags. MORE SLEEPING IN. You hear that Lena?
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Wow. I don’t really know. This would be easier to answer for 2009. I still have dates from that. Alex and I got together in 2009. The Tar Heels one the national championship!! I watched more world series games than I ever have….in 2009. I went to China! But 2009 is not the question. 2010? I don’t know. I couldn’t give an exact date. The beginning was nice. Fall 2010 has been amazing. I started running with Aspen. We ran the Turkey trot together and I dry heaved and cried at the end.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Making it to the end of this year. Actually, I have a really good answer for this. For the last week of 2010, this week. I’ve just been incredibly and simply: happy. I’m really glad I made it to this place. I’m on track. I knitted a hat that actually looks like a hat. I’ve just started…doing things for myself again. 2010: turning point year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don’t really want to look at things in terms of failures, but there were some dark moments, for sure. For a while of this year I would say my biggest failure was not being able to treat myself and Alex in a way that we both deserved. But that got resurrected and I’m working on both. Although yeah. those moments I’m not happy with. I’ve been a bad girlfriend and a bad mom this year, for sure. But I think my net is still positive.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than the insane soreness from running and that one time when I did like 800 squats and winced every time I had to go to the bathroom for like 3 days, no! Thankfully.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Man, I finally got into the legging trend, and that has been awesome. Leggings are not only the most comfortable things in the world, but it opens up so many new wardrobe possibilities for wintertime! And they look great with boots! I also bought heels for the first time too, and those have really helped my self-esteem.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Pre-October, in gas and food and travel. Post October, in the bank! Which is really cool and exciting. I also bought a lot of shoes.
13. What did you get really excited about?
I got super excited about science. I’m started a new project, and I’ve just been geeking out on that. I also got made permanent! Super excited about the way my life is heading (scientifically and otherwise too). But yeah. Grad school/world saving is definitely in my future. Actually I’m really excited about the future. I’m excited about being a better mom. Excited about where Alex and I are headed. Excited about just…moving forward. In job, in life, in moving out. I’m easily excitable.
14. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Cee-lo’s Fuck you. Also…Brave Man’s Death, by J Roddy Walston and the Business.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier.
– thinner or fatter? Thinner, I think. Hard to believe. Stronger, definitely stronger.
– richer or poorer? Richer, in all aspects of the word.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Writing. Running. Me time.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Gosh, feeling sorry for myself. What a waste of time. I really with I had done less of sitting around feeling sorry for myself.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
With our little family, home.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Oh man, 2010 was the year I discovered Friday Night Lights and Mad Men.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Lit, by Mary Karr. What else did I read. I know I read something else, I’m sure of it…
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Just discovered Trampled by Turtles. J Roddy Walston and the Business. Oh man, Melanie. (Lots of good music moments at work) Meghan Smith, that was a 2010 New Year’s Day find. Sharon Van Etten. The new Girl Talk album. Best Coast.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I’m getting tired and Lena is asking for me.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
hahahahahhaha i was 23 and i broke up with my boyfriend. that was really really awesome.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
3 day weekends.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
I work in a lab. There is no such thing as fashion. Except for Chris. Chris dresses really nice. Un-ironed preppy? Clean chubby hipster.
26. What kept you sane?
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
I keep coming back to this En Vogue lyric, right? Free your mind and the rest will follow. Which in my case sort of translates to, Get your head out of your ass and you’ll realize that things are kind of already ok.